Effects of short-term, medium-term and long-term resistance exercise training on cardiometabolic health outcomes in adults: systematic review with meta-analysis.
Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
University of Strathclyde
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo examine the effects of short-term, medium-term and long-term resistance exercise training (RET) on measures of cardiometabolic health in adults. Intervention systematic review. MEDLINE and Cochrane Library databases were searched from inception to February 2018. The search strategy included the following keywords: resistance exercise, strength training and randomised controlled trial. s Randomised controlled trials published in English comparing RET≥2 weeks in duration with a nonexercising control or usual care group. Participants were non-athletic and aged ≥18 years. A total of 173 trials were included. Mediumterm and long-term RET reduced systolic blood pressure (−4.02 (95% CI −5.92 to −2.11) mm Hg, p<0.0001 and −5.08 (−10.04 to –0.13)mm Hg, p=0.04, respectively) and diastolic blood pressure (−1.73 (−2.88 to –0.57)mm Hg, p=0.003 and −4.93 (−8.58 to –1.28)mm Hg, p=0.008, respectively) versus control. Medium-term RET elicited reductions in fasted insulin and insulin resistance (−0.59 (−0.97 to –0.21) µU/mL, p=0.002 and −1.22 (−2.29 to –0.15) µU/mL, p=0.02, respectively). The effects were greater in those with elevated cardiometabolic risk or disease compared with younger healthy adults. The quality of evidence was low or very low for all outcomes. There was limited evidence of adverse events. RET may be effective for inducing improvements in cardio metabolic health outcomes in healthy adults and those with an adverse cardio metabolic risk profile.
CitationAshton, R.E., Tew, G.A., Aning, J.J., Gilbert, S.E., Lewis, L. and Saxton, J.M., (2020). 'Effects of short-term, medium-term and long-term resistance exercise training on cardiometabolic health outcomes in adults: systematic review with meta-analysis'. British journal of sports medicine, 54(6), pp. 341-348.
JournalBritish journal of sports medicine
- Exercise interventions for cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Ryan JM, Cassidy EE, Noorduyn SG, O'Connell NE
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 11
- Resistance exercise training for fibromyalgia.
- Authors: Busch AJ, Webber SC, Richards RS, Bidonde J, Schachter CL, Schafer LA, Danyliw A, Sawant A, Dal Bello-Haas V, Rader T, Overend TJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 20
- The effect of progressive resistance training on aerobic fitness and strength in adults with coronary heart disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.
- Authors: Hollings M, Mavros Y, Freeston J, Fiatarone Singh M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Broad-spectrum physical fitness benefits of recreational football: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Milanović Z, Pantelić S, Čović N, Sporiš G, Mohr M, Krustrup P
- Issue date: 2019 Aug