Application of ultrasound in the assessment of plantar fascia in patients with plantar fasciitis: a systematic review
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlantar fasciitis (PFS) is one of the most common causes of heel pain, estimated to affect 10% of the general population during their lifetime. Ultrasound (US) imaging technique is increasingly being used to assess plantar fascia (PF) thickness, monitor the effect of different interventions and guide therapeutic interventions in patients with PFS. The purpose of the present study was to systematically review previously published studies concerning the application of US in the assessment of PF in patients with PFS. A literature search was performed for the period 2000-2012 using the Science Direct, Scopus, PubMed, CINAHL, Medline, Embase and Springer databases. The key words used were: ultrasound, sonography, imaging techniques, ultrasonography, interventional ultrasonography, plantar fascia and plantar fasciitis. The literature search yielded 34 relevant studies. Sixteen studies evaluated the effect of different interventions on PF thickness in patients with PFS using US; 12 studies compared PF thickness between patients with and without PFS using US; 6 studies investigated the application of US as a guide for therapeutic intervention in patients with PFS. There were variations among studies in terms of methodology used. The results indicated that US can be considered a reliable imaging technique for assessing PF thickness, monitoring the effect of different interventions and guiding therapeutic interventions in patients with PFS.
CitationMohseni-Bandpei, M.A., Nakhaee, M., Mousavi, M.E., Shakourirad, A., Safari, M.R. and Kashani, R.V., (2014). 'Application of ultrasound in the assessment of plantar fascia in patients with plantar fasciitis: a systematic review'. Ultrasound in medicine & biology, 40(8), pp.1737-1754. DOI: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2014.03.001
JournalUltrasound in Medicine and Biology
- Metatarsophalangeal joint extension changes ultrasound measurements for plantar fascia thickness.
- Authors: Granado MJ, Lohman EB 3rd, Gordon KE, Daher NS
- Issue date: 2018
- Association between plantar fascia vascularity and morphology and foot dysfunction in individuals with chronic plantar fasciitis.
- Authors: Chen H, Ho HM, Ying M, Fu SN
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Plantar fascia softening in plantar fasciitis with normal B-mode sonography.
- Authors: Wu CH, Chen WS, Wang TG
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Applicability of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis.
- Authors: Broholm R, Pingel J, Simonsen L, Bülow J, Johannsen F
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- ULTRASONOGRAPHY, AN EFFECTIVE TOOL IN DIAGNOSING PLANTAR FASCIITIS: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF DIAGNOSTIC TRIALS.
- Authors: Radwan A, Wyland M, Applequist L, Bolowsky E, Klingensmith H, Virag I
- Issue date: 2016 Oct