Temperature measurement and control system for transtibial prostheses: functional evaluation.
Zheng, Yong Ping
Leung, Aaron K L
Lee, Tat Hing
Safari, Mohammad Reza
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe accumulation of heat inside the prosthetic socket increases skin temperature and fosters perspiration, which consequently leads to high tissue stress, friction blister, discomfort, unpleasant odor, and decreased prosthesis suspension and use. In the present study, the prototype of a temperature measurement and control (TM&C) system was designed, fabricated, and functionally evaluated in a phantom model of the transtibial prosthetic socket. The TM&C system was comprised of 12 thermistors divided equally into two groups that arranged internal and external to a prosthetic silicone liner. Its control system was programmed to select the required heating or cooling function of a thermal pump to provide thermal equilibrium based on the amount of temperature difference from a defined set temperature, or the amount of difference between the mean temperature recorded by inside and outside thermistors. A thin layer of aluminum was used for thermal conduction between the thermal pump and different sites around the silicone liner. The results showed functionality of the TM&C system for thermoregulation inside the prosthetic socket. However, enhancing the structure of this TM&C system, increasing its thermal power, and decreasing its weight and cost are main priorities before further development.
CitationZheng, Y.P., et al. (2018). 'Temperature measurement and control system for transtibial prostheses: Functional evaluation'. Assistive Technology, 30(1), pp.16-23. DOI: 10.1080/10400435.2016.1225850
PublisherTaylor & Francis
JournalAssistive Technology: The Official Journal of RESNA
- The prototype of a thermoregulatory system for measurement and control of temperature inside prosthetic socket.
- Authors: Ghoseiri K, Zheng YP, Hing LL, Safari MR, Leung AK
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Temperature measurement and control system for transtibial prostheses: Single subject clinical evaluation.
- Authors: Ghoseiri K, Zheng YP, Leung AKL, Rahgozar M, Aminian G, Masoumi M, Safari MR
- Issue date: 2018
- A three-dimensional finite element model of the transibial residual limb and prosthetic socket to predict skin temperatures.
- Authors: Peery JT, Klute GK, Blevins JJ, Ledoux WR
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Hygiene problems of residual limb and silicone liners in transtibial amputees wearing the total surface bearing socket.
- Authors: Hachisuka K, Nakamura T, Ohmine S, Shitama H, Shinkoda K
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Prevalence of heat and perspiration discomfort inside prostheses: literature review.
- Authors: Ghoseiri K, Safari MR
- Issue date: 2014