Caregiving in multiple sclerosis and quality of life: A meta-synthesis of qualitative research.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The lack of adequate conceptualisation and operationalisation of quality of life (QoL) limits the ability to have a consistent body of evidence to improve QoL research and practice in informal caregiving for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). Thus, we conducted a meta-synthesis of qualitative research to improve the conceptual understanding of the experiences of MS carers and to identify factors that affect carers' QoL. DESIGN: Systematic searches of five electronic databases yielded 17 qualitative studies which were synthesised using the principles of meta-ethnography. RESULTS: The synthesis resulted in nine inter-linking themes: Changes and losses; challenges revolving around MS; caregiving demands; burden of care; future concerns; external stressors; experiences of support; strategies used in managing the caregiving role; and motivating factors. Our findings suggest that MS carers can have both positive and negative experiences which may bring challenges and rewards to the carers. CONCLUSION: We present a proposed QoL model for MS caregiving which can be used to inform the development of interventions for MS carers to improve their QoL. However, further empirical research is needed to examine the utility of this model and to explore the concept of QoL in MS carers in more detail.
CitationTopcu G. et al (2016) 'Caregiving in multiple sclerosis and quality of life: A meta-synthesis of qualitative research', Psychology & Health, 31 (6):693 .
PublisherTaylor and Francis
JournalPsychology & Health
- The psychosocial impact of caregiving in dementia and quality of life: a systematic review and meta-synthesis of qualitative research.
- Authors: Cross AJ, Garip G, Sheffield D
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- "It's just horrible": a qualitative study of patients' and carers' experiences of bowel dysfunction in multiple sclerosis.
- Authors: Dibley L, Coggrave M, McClurg D, Woodward S, Norton C
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Our disease: a qualitative meta-synthesis of the experiences of spousal/partner caregivers of people with multiple sclerosis.
- Authors: Appleton D, Robertson N, Mitchell L, Lesley R
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Carers' experiences when the person for whom they have been caring enters a residential aged care facility permanently: a systematic review.
- Authors: Jacobson J, Gomersall JS, Campbell J, Hughes M
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 14
- Tools to measure quality of life and carer burden in informal carers of heart failure patients: a narrative review.
- Authors: Whittingham K, Barnes S, Gardiner C
- Issue date: 2013 Jul