Development and preliminary evaluation of a new anatomically based prosthetic alignment method for below-knee prosthesis.
Mardani, Mohammad Ali
Jafarpisheh, Amir Salar
Aminian, Gholam Reza
AffiliationUniversity of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences
Islamic Azad University
University of Derby
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe objectives of current study were to a) assess similarities and relationships between anatomical landmark-based angles and distances of lower limbs in unilateral transtibial amputees and b) develop and evaluate a new anatomically based static prosthetic alignment method. First sub-study assessed the anthropometrical differences and relationships between the lower limbs in the photographs taken from amputees. Data were analysed via paired t-test and regression analysis. Results show no significant differences in frontal and transverse planes. In the sagittal plane, the anthropometric parameters of the amputated limb were significantly correlated to the corresponding variables of the sound limb. The results served as bases for the development of a new prosthetic alignment method. The method was evaluated on a single subject study. Prosthetic alignment carried out by an experienced prosthetist was compared with such alignment adjusted by an inexperienced prosthetist but with the use of the developed method. In sagittal and frontal planes, the socket angle was tuned with respect to the shin angle, and the position of the prosthetic foot was tuned in relation to the pelvic landmarks. Further study is needed to assess the proposed method on a larger sample of amputees and prosthetists.
CitationNahid Tafti, Masoud Karimlou, Mohammad Ali Mardani, Amir Salar Jafarpisheh, Gholam Reza Aminian & Reza Safari (2018) 'Development and preliminary evaluation of a new anatomically based prosthetic alignment method for below-knee prosthesis', Assistive Technology, DOI: 10.1080/10400435.2018.1467513
PublisherTaylor and Francis
JournalAssistive technology : the official journal of RESNA
- The effect of transverse prosthetic alignment changes on socket reaction moments during gait in individuals with transtibial amputation.
- Authors: Hashimoto H, Kobayashi T, Gao F, Kataoka M, Orendurff MS, Okuda K
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Case study: survey of patient satisfaction with prosthesis quality and design among below-knee prosthetic leg socket users.
- Authors: Mohd Hawari N, Jawaid M, Md Tahir P, Azmeer RA
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Dynamic alignment using external socket reaction moments in trans-tibial amputees.
- Authors: Jonkergouw N, Prins MR, van der Wurff P, Gijsbers J, Houdijk H, Buis AWP
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- The development and internal consistency of the comprehensive lower limb amputee socket survey in active lower limb amputees.
- Authors: Gailey R, Kristal A, Lucarevic J, Harris S, Applegate B, Gaunaurd I
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Dynamic alignment of transtibial prostheses through visualization of socket reaction moments.
- Authors: Kobayashi T, Orendurff MS, Boone DA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec