Variability in laboratory vs. field testing of peak power, torque, and time of peak power production among elite bicycle motocross cyclists
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to ascertain the variation in elite male bicycle motocross (BMX) cyclists' peak power, torque, and time of power production during laboratory and field-based testing. Eight elite male BMX riders volunteered for the study, and each rider completed 3 maximal sprints using both a Schoberer Rad Messtechnik (SRM) ergometer in the laboratory and a portable SRM power meter on an Olympic standard indoor BMX track. The results revealed a significantly higher peak power (p ≤ 0.001, 34 ± 9%) and reduced time of power production (p ≤ 0.001, 105 ± 24%) in the field tests when compared with laboratory-derived values. Torque was also reported to be lower in the laboratory tests but not to an accepted level of significance (p = 0.182, 6 ± 8%). These results suggest that field-based testing may be a more effective and accurate measure of a BMX rider's peak power, torque, and time of power production.
CitationRylands, L. et al. (2015) 'Variability in Laboratory vs. Field Testing of Peak Power, Torque, and Time of Peak Power Production Among Elite Bicycle Motocross Cyclists.' Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 29 (9):2635-40
JournalJournal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Effect of gear ratio on peak power and time to peak power in BMX cyclists.
- Authors: Rylands LP, Roberts SJ, Hurst HT
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Effect of cadence selection on peak power and time of power production in elite BMX riders: A laboratory based study.
- Authors: Rylands LP, Roberts SJ, Hurst HT, Bentley I
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Maximal torque- and power-pedaling rate relationships for elite sprint cyclists in laboratory and field tests.
- Authors: Gardner AS, Martin JC, Martin DT, Barras M, Jenkins DG
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Comparison of power output during ergometer and track cycling in adolescent cyclists.
- Authors: Nimmerichter A, Williams CA
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Pedaling power and speed production vs. technical factors and track difficulty in bicycle motocross cycling.
- Authors: Mateo M, Blasco-Lafarga C, Zabala M
- Issue date: 2011 Dec