AffiliationUniversity of Derby
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe need for private, voluntary and independent placements in nursing programmes has become more important in recent years due to changes in where health services are delivered. These placements can be used effectively within nursing programmes to show students the realities of healthcare, and to challenge myths and attitudes. Dedicated time and resources need to be provided to discover and maintain these placements, and to ensure appropriate, high-quality learning opportunities. This article presents the findings of a national Higher Education Academy workshop, held at the University of Derby in November 2012. It explores three key issues discussed at the workshop: current practice and opportunities for learning; myths, attitudes and solutions; and maintaining the quality of placements. The use of PVI placements is seen as valuable and a set of recommendations are provided to assist in their use.
CitationSherratt, L, Whitehead, B, Young, A, Collins, G, & Brudrett, H 2013, 'Using more healthcare areas for placements', Nursing Times, 109, 25, pp. 18-21
PublisherMacmillan Publishing Ltd.
Series/Report no.Vol. 109
The following license files are associated with this item:
- What is faculty practice?
- Authors: Saxe JM, Burgel BJ, Stringari-Murray S, Collins-Bride GM, Dennehy P, Janson S, Humphreys J, Martin H, Roberts B
- Issue date: 2004 Jul-Aug
- Nursing care centers: a collaborative effort.
- Authors: Mason TH, Lazenby RB, Fain SB
- Issue date: 1992 Summer
- Bridging the gap. Community partnerships in nursing education: advancing primary health care in practice.
- Authors: Mann S, Byrnes T
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Professional roles and communications in clinical placements: a qualitative study of nursing students' perceptions and some models for practice.
- Authors: Andrews GJ, Brodie DA, Andrews JP, Hillan E, Gail Thomas B, Wong J, Rixon L
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- A web-based programme for hospital and community student placements.
- Authors: Clark C, Stevens C
- Issue date: 2006 Jan