Who thrives under pressure? predicting the performance of elite academy cricketers using the cardiovascular indicators of challenge and threat states
AuthorsTurner, Martin J.
Jones, Marc V.
Slater, Matthew J.
Barker, Jamie B.
Bell, James J.
AffiliationStaffordshire University, Centre for Sport, Health and Exercise Research
University of Derby, Centre for Psychological Research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study assessed whether cardiovascular (CV) reactivity patterns indexing challenge and threat states predicted batting performance in elite male county (N = 12) and national (N = 30) academy cricketers. Participants completed a batting test under pressure, before which CV reactivity was recorded in response to ego-threatening audio instructions. Self-reported self-efficacy, control, achievement goals, and emotions were also assessed. Challenge CV reactivity predicted superior performance in the Batting Test, compared with threat CV reactivity. The relationships between self-report measures and CV reactivity, and self-report measures and performance were inconsistent. A small subsample of participants who exhibited threat CV reactivity, but performed well, reported greater self-efficacy than participants who exhibited threat CV reactivity, but performed poorly. Also a small subsample of participants who exhibited challenge reactivity, but performed poorly, had higher avoidance goals than participants with challenge reactivity who performed well. The mechanisms for the observed relationship between CV reactivity and performance are discussed alongside implications for future research and applied practice.
CitationWho thrives under pressure? Predicting the performance of elite academy cricketers using the cardiovascular indicators of challenge and threat states. 2013, 35 (4):387-97 J Sport Exerc Psychol
JournalJournal of sport & exercise psychology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Cardiovascular indices of challenge and threat states predict competitive performance.
- Authors: Turner MJ, Jones MV, Sheffield D, Cross SL
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Manipulating cardiovascular indices of challenge and threat using resource appraisals.
- Authors: Turner MJ, Jones MV, Sheffield D, Barker JB, Coffee P
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Cognitive and affective components of challenge and threat states.
- Authors: Meijen C, Jones MV, McCarthy PJ, Sheffield D, Allen MS
- Issue date: 2013
- The relationship between developmental experiences and mental toughness in adolescent cricketers.
- Authors: Gucciardi DF
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Anxiety, ego depletion, and sports performance.
- Authors: Englert C, Bertrams A
- Issue date: 2012 Oct