MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe evaluated: the agreement between lactate minimum and maximal lactate steady state (MLSS) cycling powers (study 1); whether rates of change of blood lactate concentration during the lactate minimum test reflect that of constant power exercise (study 2); whether the lactate minimum power is influenced by the muscle groups used to elevate blood lactate concentration (study 3). Study 1: 32 subjects performed a lactate minimum test comprising a lactate elevation phase, recovery phase, and incremental phase (five 4 min stages); MLSS was subsequently determined. Study 2: 8 subjects performed a lactate minimum test and five 22 min constant power tests at the incremental phase exercise intensities. Study 3: 10 subjects performed two identical lactate minimum tests, except during the second test the lactate elevation phase comprised arm-cranking. Lactate minimum and MLSS powers demonstrated good agreement (mean bias+/-95% limits of agreement: 2+/-22 W). Rates of change of blood lactate concentration during each incremental phase stage and corresponding constant power test did not correlate. Lactate minimum power was lowered when arm-cranking was used during the lactate elevation phase (157+/-29 vs. 168+/-21 W; p<0.05). The lactate elevation phase modifies blood lactate concentration responses during the incremental phase, thus good agreement between lactate minimum and MLSS powers seems fortuitous.
CitationInvestigations of the lactate minimum test. 2009, 30 (6):448-54 Int J Sports Med
JournalInternational Journal of Sports Medicine
- Effects of protocol design on lactate minimum power.
- Authors: Johnson MA, Sharpe GR
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Correlations between lactate and ventilatory thresholds and the maximal lactate steady state in elite cyclists.
- Authors: Van Schuylenbergh R, Vanden Eynde B, Hespel P
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Maximal lactate steady state, critical power and EMG during cycling.
- Authors: Pringle JS, Jones AM
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Blood glucose minimum predicts maximal lactate steady state on running.
- Authors: Sotero RC, Pardono E, Landwehr R, Campbell CS, Simoes HG
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Influence of light additional arm cranking exercise on the kinetics of VO2 in severe cycling exercise.
- Authors: Billat VL, Hamard L, Bocquet V, Demarie S, Beroni M, Petit B, Koralsztein JP
- Issue date: 2000 Jul