Geographical variation in the response to nitrogen deposition in Arabidopsis lyrata petraea.
van den Berg, Leon L. J.
Bulling, Mark T.
Ashmore, Mike R.
Kunin, William E.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe adaptive responses to atmospheric nitrogen deposition for different European accessions of Arabidopsis lyrata petraea were analysed using populations along a strong atmospheric N-deposition gradient. Plants were exposed to three N-deposition rates, reflecting the rates at the different locations, in a full factorial design. Differences between accessions in the response to N were found for important phenological and physiological response variables. For example, plants from low-deposition areas had higher nitrogen-use efficiencies (NUE) and C : N ratios than plants from areas high in N deposition when grown at low N-deposition rates. The NUE decreased in all accessions at higher experimental deposition rates. However, plants from high-deposition areas showed a limited capacity to increase their NUE at lower experimental deposition rates. Plants from low-deposition areas had faster growth rates, higher leaf turnover rates and shorter times to flowering, and showed a greater increase in growth rate in response to N deposition than those from high-deposition areas. Indications for adaptation to N deposition were found, and results suggest that adaptation of plants from areas high in N deposition to increased N deposition has resulted in the loss of plasticity.
CitationGeographical variation in the response to nitrogen deposition in Arabidopsis lyrata petraea. 2008, 179 (1):129-41 New Phytol.
JournalThe new phytologist
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Plastic and adaptive responses of plant respiration to changes in atmospheric CO(2) concentration.
- Authors: Gonzàlez-Meler MA, Blanc-Betes E, Flower CE, Ward JK, Gomez-Casanovas N
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Natural variation of nitrate uptake and nitrogen use efficiency in Arabidopsis thaliana cultivated with limiting and ample nitrogen supply.
- Authors: Chardon F, Barthélémy J, Daniel-Vedele F, Masclaux-Daubresse C
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Growth and foliar nitrogen status of four plant species exposed to atmospheric ammonia.
- Authors: Adrizal, Patterson PH, Hulet RM, Bates RM
- Issue date: 2006
- Nitrogen uptake and nitrogen use efficiency above and below ground along a topographic gradient of soil nitrogen availability.
- Authors: Tateno R, Takeda H
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Exploring nitrogen remobilization for seed filling using natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Masclaux-Daubresse C, Chardon F
- Issue date: 2011 Mar